Happy Birthday, to Slim. He was born 23 Sep 1969:
- Slim with Muffin, his playmate (our next door neighbour’s cat born about the same time as Slim), and Charlie (in the background behind the fence). (November 1969)
- Slim at Crater Lake, Oregon, as we enjoyed relief from the heat where we spent the Summer at Ashland. (June 1970).
- Slim at our Pinewood campus – attentive at something behind this photographer. (June 1972).
Now, Jai, back to my political jog.
‘From each according to ability, to each according to need.’
Were Abraham, Moses, and Jesus ‘Communist’? Were Marx and Engles ‘Judeo-Christian’?
Christian Conservative talkers as Reverend Jerry Falwell, Reverend Pat Roberston, Pastor John Hagee, Pastor Rod Parsley, Jay Sekulow, and other Trinity Broadcasting preachers assert accurately – though derisively and pejoratively – the phrase ‘From each according to ability, to each according to need’ is ‘Communism’. You must then, by logic, accept that your Judeo-Christian Bible (both ‘Old Testament’ and ‘New Testament’) commands that you live your life in your god’s teachings: ‘Communism’.
Webster’s Dictionary (find an unabridged version) defines ‘Communism’ as ‘Biblical communalism’ and includes the phrase ‘From each according to ability, to each according to need’ in its entry. Thus, Webster’s Dictionary specifically, authoritatively, and definitively refers to ‘Communism’ as Judeo-Christian Biblical teaching.
Here follow a sampling of your god’s words from your ‘Bible’ – Genesis through the Second Coming – Adam and Eve through the the Prophets, Jesus, Disciples, Apostles, Revelation Apocalypse …
Genesis (Chapter 14, Verses 23 – 24):
- Gen 14:23 I will not take any thing that is thine lest thou say Abram enriched at thine loss
- Gen 14:24 Save only that which the young men have and they take only their portion; and Aner, Eshcol, and Mamre let them take only their portion.
Ezra (Chapter 6; Verse 9):
- Ezr 6:9 And that which they have need of, both young bullocks, and rams, and lambs, for the burnt offerings of the God of heaven, wheat, salt, wine, and oil, according to the appointment of the priests which [are] at Jerusalem, let it be given them day by day without fail:
Matthew (Chapter 19; Verses 20 – 22):
- Mat 19:20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?
- Mat 19:21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go [and] sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come [and] follow me.
- Mat 19:22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.
Philipians (Chapter 4; Veses 15 – 19):
- Phl 4:15 Now ye Philippians know also, that in the beginning of the gospel, when I departed from Macedonia, no church communicated with me as concerning giving and receiving, but ye only.
- Phl 4:16 For even in Thessaloniki ye sent once and again unto my necessity.
- Phl 4:17 Not because I desire a gift: but I desire fruit that may abound to your account.
- Phl 4:18 But I have all, and abound: I am full, having received of Epaphroditus the things [which were sent] from you, an odour of a sweet smell, a sacrifice acceptable, wellpleasing to God.
- Phl 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
Acts of the Apostles (Chapter 4; Verses 32-35):
- Acts 4:32 And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any [of them] that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common.
- Acts 4:33 And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all.
- Acts 4:34 Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold,
- Acts 4:35 And laid [them] down at the apostles’ feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need.
Acts of the Apostles (Chapter 11; Verse 29):
- Act 11:29 Then the disciples, every man according to his ability, determined to send relief unto the brethren which dwelt in Judaea:
Revelation (Chapter 22; Verse 12)
- Rev 22:12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.
The Soviet Union used this chalet as a Soviet -era vacation resort for their Communist Party loyalists; it is located near Cluj, Romania. My dad, Slim, and I were the only known Americans to ever have stayed there to that time (April 1973). Breakfast was quite fun for all – Soviets, Romanians, and we three Americans – as we exchanged smiles and good morning pleasantries when we ate at the restaurant and learned of our esteemed status.
Do your homework:
You can find many repeated ‘Old Testament’ references.
You can find no less than three other variants elsewhere in the Luke and John gospels as well as throughout the ‘New Testament’.
You can find many references throughout cultures and societies. Before antagonists derided ‘Communist Manifesto’, the Saint-Simon group of the 1800s put forth their ‘from each according to ability, to each according to need’ motto while not once referring to ‘Communism’.
Now that we have discussed the first topic, remember that Jesus reproached those who asserted ‘the end justifies the means’. Biblical teachings mandate ‘the end must justify the means’. Republicans, Christian Conservatives, right-wingers do not fathom the difference.
‘From each according to ability, to each according to need.’: I sent this blog to e-mails of the following:
- Mike Newcomb,
- Ernie Hancock,
- Dave Ramsey,
- Dennis Prager,
- Paul Harvey.
None responded. Oh well.